Woodshop 101 with Tim
Age requirement: 14+
Cost: $125 total per person (including materials cost)
Saturdays or Sundays (please see updated class availability below) 10:00am – 1:00pm with a 30 minute lunch break, and then finishing up from 2:30 – 3:30pm,
Maximum class size: 8 individual registrations
We now have double the woodworking machinery, including 2 joiners, 2 thickness planers, and 2 tabletop routers so that you can flow through your cutting board project and focus on giving it the finish you want.
What is included in Woodshop 101?
As part of your registration in this workshop, you will be provided with a selection of beautiful woods suitable for creating your own completely custom cutting board. All of our woods have been selected for their tight grain patterns, which are ideal for extended use under even the most ham-fisted of meal-preppers.
The woods we have selected will give you a strong final product, along with a beautiful variety of colours including:
- Purple heart (new addition)
- Cherry (new addition)
We provide you with all the raw materials you will need to create a beautiful, custom cutting board of approximately 1 1/8″ thick, and 12″ wide by 16″ long.
We also provide you with a packaged sample of our custom-blended conditioner made with Beeswax and Mineral Oil.
What Tools Will I Learn to Use?
You will learn to use 5 primary woodshop staples:
- Joiner – You’ll use this to create a flat edge and side on your pieces so that they can be joined cleanly.
- Thickness Planer – To get your pieces down to a consistent thickness, with flat sides
- Tablesaw – Once you have your pieces assembled, you will then use this tool to cut your board to proper size
- Router table – Get yourself those nice, round, and oh-so caress-able edges
- Edge sander – Great for an initial sanding of rough spots before using handheld sanding tools
In addition to our larger woodshop equipment, you will be guided in glueing, clamping and using our random orbital sanders to get your cutting board smoother than your uncle’s baldspot.
Tim Knelson, a Red Seal Journeyman Carpenter and all-around nice guy.
If you run into any other issues, please feel free to contact us and we’ll get you registered in a jiffy.