Woodshop 101 – Make A Custom Cutting Board *EVENING CLASS* with John
Age requirement: 14+
Cost: $125 total per person (including $25 materials cost)
Times: Part 1 – Tuesday Jan 21 and Part 2 – Thursday Jan 23 from 6 to 9pm:
Maximum class size: 5 individual registrations
We now have double the woodworking machinery, including 2 joiners, 2 thickness planers, and 2 tabletop routers so that you can flow through your cutting board project and focus on giving it the finish you want.
What is included in Woodshop 101?
As part of your registration in this workshop, you will be provided with a selection of beautiful woods suitable for creating your own completely custom cutting board. All of our woods have been selected for their tight grain patterns, which are ideal for extended use under even the most ham-fisted of meal-preppers.
The woods we have selected will give you a strong final product, along with a beautiful variety of colours including:
- Purple heart (new addition)
- Cherry (new addition)
We provide you with all the raw materials you will need to create a beautiful, custom cutting board of approximately 1 1/8″ thick, and 12″ wide by 16″ long.
What Tools Will I Learn to Use?
You will learn to use 5 primary woodshop staples:
- Joiner – You’ll use this to create a flat edge and side on your pieces so that they can be joined cleanly.
- Thickness Planer – To get your pieces down to a consistent thickness, with flat sides
- Tablesaw – Once you have your pieces assembled, you will then use this tool to cut your board to proper size
- Router table – Get yourself those nice, round, and oh-so caress-able edges
- Edge sander – Great for an initial sanding of rough spots before using handheld sanding tools
In addition to our larger woodshop equipment, you will be guided in glueing, clamping and using our random orbital sanders to get your cutting board smoother than your uncle’s baldspot.
John is an avid woodworking enthusiast who has been creating and making furniture as a hobbyist for more than 35 years. John recently retired as woodworking teacher with the Calgary Board of Education and he now enjoys spending some of his spare time at FUSE33. He’s planning on designing and making a new dinning room table for his house and his wife can hardly wait!
If you run into any other issues, please feel free to contact us and we’ll get you registered in a jiffy.